Thursday, June 7, 2007

1 Down 99 To Go - The Journey

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
-Lao Tse

I began running in June of 2005. I am not sure exactly what the date was I just remember it was some time in the middle of the month and it was the same day I quit my job that I had done for the last 10 years. At that time I was about 30 pounds overweight and not quite able to run one mile. I also don't remember when I wanted to run a 100 mile run, but even though I was not very familiar with 100's it became more and more clear as "The Journey" began.

My training over the last 2 years has been inconsistent. I have run for 20 straight days but also due to injuries (knee, broken toe, ankle) have gone as much as 60 straight days without running. My hope for the next 100 days is to maximize mileage, and keep excuses and injuries to a minimum. I hope to cross train with biking and swimming as well. If my ankle is flaring up I will put in more mileage on the bike. Although I will do most of my running in the early morning hours and evening I will also run in the heat of the day to keep the body used to the heat I will experience at the AC 100.

There are many great sites like Stan Jensen's (no relation) run100s site with great info about runs and training. On my posts my training will speak for itself as I am not mapping anything specific out, rather I am looking forward to being creative in my training on this journey. Below is my first attempt at putting video on my blog from youtube, I don't know if I will use his method, but I like how this guy thinks.
My mom once gave me a shirt that says, "Those who wander are not necessarily lost". I am thankful my mom understands me.

Let the JOURNEY begin!

3 comments:

Christina said...

Good luck on your journey. We look forward to reading your posts this summer.
Dan & I were at dinner tonight, and I said, "How many days until the AC100?", and he said, "I think it's 100 - we'll go home and check Chris' blog and see if he started blogging, then we'll know there are 100 days!" Thanks for keeping us from doing math. :)

Chris Jensen said...

Christina, I am glad to hear I have not lost you as a reader... I think you are the only ones beyond my #1 fan my mom. I guess that makes you guys #2 and #3. :-)

If you read this... 100 topics is a lot to come up with on my own, and would appreciate any input from you guys or anyone else reading this. Chris

Christina said...

Chris - I subscribe to your blog feed through bloglines, so I have been reading everything, even though I don't always comment.
How about writing about the 138 closure, and how it might affect your training?
We have lots of AC100 course pictures in our flickr account, maybe you can find something there to inspire you?