Monday, September 17, 2007

AC 100 Race Report

This weekend I felt truly blessed to be able to run in the 2007 Angeles Crest 100 mile run.
The day started with the alarm going off at 2:30 A.M. Cindy and I departed our home in Palmdale in order to arrive in the mountains for a 4:00 A.M. check in and a race start at 5:00 A.M.
My largest concern for the day was my lingering ankle problems, but I knew I had to put that worry aside and let the day unfold as it would.


0-25 miles


The start of the race heads up the main street of Wrightwood and then an eye opening climb of 2150 feet for the first 3.5 miles. If you weren't awake... you are now. While us middle pack runners were making it to the top of the mountain the sun was just cresting over the horizon. Just when one could not ask for much else.... the Brady Bunch song "It's a Sunshine Day" just happens to be the next song on my IPOD.


I think I'll go for a walk outside now

the summer sun's callin my name

(I hear ya now)

I just can't stay inside all day

I gotta get out get me some of those rays

everybody's smilin
sunshine day

everybody's laughin

sunshine day

everybody seems so happy today

its a sunshine day


For the record I would like to declare that I do not personally own a Brady Bunch CD, rather it was graciously loaned to me by the White family.




These first 25 miles fly by and I can't say anything more that wasn't already said by Greg, Marsha, Peter, Jan, Bobby and Cindy.

26-50 miles


I'm beginning to worry at about mile 26. Everything is going almost too well, and I am way ahead of the pace I set for myself. Even though I have never done a 100 mile run before, I do know that it is a recipe for failure to go out too fast. I wasn't supposed to see Cindy until mile 52, but she saw my pace on the Internet and made the hour long trip to Eagle's Roost (mile 29) to tell me to SLOW DOWN!!!

-----------------------------------------------Photos by Christina Hennesy

I continued to plug along and by the time I was around 50 miles I was thrilled to know my ankle was doing well, my legs felt good, and mentally I was having a blast. Could this possibly continue on the second half??? The question would soon be answered with a resounding NO!!!

Heading out of Three Points (mile 42) aid station ---------------->


Mile 51-75


Mile 59 was a special surprise to see the Mitchells, Myers, Dan, Christina, Cindy and Teresa all there to cheer me on. Just as the sun was beginning to set and at Shortcut Saddle Aid Station I kept my fears to myself about my ankle. I knew it was beginning to hurt and I still had over 40 miles to go. It appeared the "Sunshine Day" song playing in my ears the first half of the run was going away. I was still in high spirits after leaving all the cheers and excitement at Shortcut and was making nice progress until about mile 64. A combination of tired legs, sleepiness, hurt ankle, and the climb up to Newcomb's Saddle were putting my finish into question. Taking a 30 minute rest at Newcomb's Aid Station and drinking some chicken broth and four cokes did the trick. I was rejuvenated and on my way to Chantry Flats (mile 75).

75-100

I think I had the best two cups of coffee of my life at Chantry. I was feeling good and ready to get going on the last 25 miles of this journey. Anytime after mile 52 a pacer may join a runner so good friend, Teresa, would be coming along on this last leg. There is not much to report on this section. For the most part I was in no mood to talk and Teresa was the perfect pacer seeing how she is a "professional" talker. Eventually she learned that I wasn't going to respond much, and therefore she chose topics that didn't need a response. I gained some life after Sam Merrill aid station (mile 89), not sure whether it was the ginger candy or the sun rising over the mountains, but we were on the home stretch.


At approximately 9:24 A.M. Sunday morning we crossed the finish line, with loud cheers from the Hursts, Whites, and Cindy. I felt a day full of reflections about family, friends, and God. If I learned anything, it's that even with some dark times, it truly was a Sunshine Day.


Below is a video taken by Cindy off and on throughout the day, special thanks to Dan & Christina for all the added support and Barbara and Jim Medlin for watching our new puppy Jac so Cindy could be with me on the course.


AND if possible, please consider supporting Ryan's Troopers (click here) in their pursuit to end juvenile diabetes.