Saturday, April 28, 2007

Commitment Day

I filled out my application for the Angeles Crest 100 miler today. The application has not gotten to the mail box yet with an entry fee for $215.00 though... it is hard to believe I am paying over $200 so that I can stay awake for over 30 hours straight, and run 100 miles through the forest in the heat of the day and cool of the night. To run in the AC100 a runner must complete a 50 mile race (accomplished last week at the Leona Divide) and perform 8 hours of trail maintenance. Performing a service is a great idea, but again hard to believe I am paying over $200 for all this "fun".

My recovery from last Saturday's 50 miles has been slow. The soreness in my legs healed up quickly within a day or two, but my sore ankle that caused me pain after about mile 25 continues to let me know it was more than a little soreness. In the mornings I can barely walk and throughout the day it gets a little better only to start the cycle again the next morning. I have thoughts of trying to go for a run and give it a try but I am trying to learn from my past mistakes such as my broken toe I re-injured foolishly due to impatiently attempting a run too soon causing me almost 2 more months without running. The first weekend of trail maintenance on part of the AC100 course was this weekend, but due to my ankle and some other factors I decided not to go. The next opportunity is May 19 and that happens to be my next planned run in Bishop. I hate to back out of the Bishop run, but since I haven't signed up yet I would like to complete my 8 hours of trail maintenance work ASAP, and my body will appreciate the rest along with more time to better prepare for my next run June 2nd at Fish Camp.

Again, why am I writing a check for $215?

3 comments:

Christina said...

Hi Chris!
You were awesome today!
Pictures of your training run are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/chennessey/sets/72157600237567858/
(you can delete this comment if you like after you get the pictures - I just didn't have your email address)
Christina

Anonymous said...

Chris, Dan here. You ran great yesterday. What was your time when you got to Chilao? I finally got up (with some prodding from Howie and Will) walked 80 yards out of Mt. Hilyer and promptly voided whatever was troubling me (via the route that it had arrived). I then moseyed on to Chilao and got there at 7:15 (watch time not day time).

So you only started running in 2005? I started running in 1975, and you crushed me! Good job.

I will say, my legs feel great today, and that's good. I think the long runs are starting to pay off for me. Now about that nutrition, hydration thing. That was a first for me. In my 12 hour I had no problems at all. I'm thinking yesterday was all related to pace (and then heat). You guys were just too fast for me.

Drop me an email if you want to arrange to run some other part of the course. Maybe in a few weeks I'll be in a little better shape, and can keep up with you.

dbell.dbell at gmail

Chris Jensen said...

Dan,
Just in case you check back to this post. I will plan on emailing you in a couple of weeks and hopefully we can run another part of the course. I failed to check my time, but I think it was around 6:30. "Crushed" is definitely not accurate, I had very little left in the tank at the end... you just temporarily had a little bit of bad gas at the end. :-) After you got refilled at the end all's good.