Saturday, May 5, 2007

Parent Ratings

Recently I received an email from my mom (hi mom!) letting me know she enjoyed reading my blog. But, hearing about all of my injuries (i.e. broken toe, poison oak, swollen ankle, etc.) was difficult to take. I started wondering if I should post a rating system just like the movies do. The ironic thing that I am writing about my mom in the third person is, I think she is the only one that reads my blog. If someone is reading this and you didn't give birth to me leave a comment, I'd like to know you're out there.


How does this rating sound.


G = Content is GOOD, happy and pleasant.

PG = Content has POSSIBLE GIMPINESS like somethings broken, swollen, etc.

R = All parents RESTRICTED from reading. I may we writing about thinking of moving to Nepal, or a career change to become an Ultimate Fighter.


Todays rating G.

My day started at 4 a.m. I knew I would be going for a run today, but was not sure when. Sometimes I wake up early on a weekend and I am too impatient to fall back asleep, rather I am ready for this great day to start ASAP. The wind was howling a little but the moon was full with an eerie ring around it and that was all the motivation I needed. I strapped on my head light and before heading out the door by 4:30 a.m. I decided to take a self portrait before I left. Cindy is in Morro Bay on a girl weekend so I had to use the self timer on the camera. Don't worry I wouldn't have been foolishness enough to wake her up even if she had been here.





I took my favorite route up Bunny Hill on the backside of the California Aqueduct up the fire roads and single track trails. It is amazing how well one can see with no light except for a full moon and a head lamp. The air is so fresh and everything is at peace, although the cotton tailed bunnies (no relation to why they call it Bunny Hill... see earlier post) would disagree as they scurry to avoid this strange alien with a light on the top of his head.



After 7 or 8 miles I was rewarded with a beautiful sunrise as I ran along the ridges of the Antelope Valley. I love sunsets just as much as anyone, but the freshness of a sunrise is difficult to beat, especially when you are out for a run.





By 7 a.m. I was done with a Double Bunny (up and over and then looping back around to traverse Bunny Hill one more time on my way back) and ready to start my day. The only downside was I had hoped to tack on a few more than the 13 miles I had run, but my swollen ankle was giving me trouble the last few miles. Uh oh, perhaps this post should have been rated P.G.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here you go Chris, a post from someone who didn't give birth to you. I'd like to join you on one of these crazy runs up Bunny Hill just to see firsthand what it's like. Of course, you'll have to wait until I get my mountain bike repaired! I'll let you know when that happens. Sorry about the Anonymous sign in, but I'm too lazy to get a Google account just yet. See ya.
Jeffo

Chris Jensen said...

Now that I know someone else is reading my blog, I feel the pressure to update it on a regular basis. I have found Bunny Hill to be difficult on the Mountain Bike and it is probably easier to walk/jog the hill. More posts here I come.