Sunday, May 20, 2007

Trail Work and Training Run For AC100

The weekend started at 7:00 A.M. in a parking lot at Hahamongna Park in Pasadena. Unfortunately I forgot the camera at home. From there we carpooled up to a section of the AC100 in the San Gabriel Mountains to work on improving a section of the Pacific Crest Trail. Still no camera. I enjoyed hearing about the eclectic backgrounds of a dozen or so people that had come to spend the day helping work on the trail, and fulfiling their 8 hours of trail work that is required to participate in the AC100. Still no camera. Not much else to say, hiking down a steep hill with heavy tools for 3 miles, stopping now and then working in the hot sun, pounding and scraping dirt is not a lot of fun. Only to hike back up the 3 miles carrying the same heavy tools. The day ended about 10 hours later at 5:00. My hat goes off to the guys that are regulars on this work.

The next day (Sunday) started at 7:00 as well. A couple dozen runners met at the Visitor Center at Chilao Flats and carpooled up to Islip Saddle for a 27 mile run along the AC course.

It wasn't a big surprise to me that I forgot my camera again, but fortunately there are people out there much smarter than myself. In this case a big thank you to Christina H. for ALL the pictures and helping at all the aid stations along with Hal Winton, one of the AC100 Race Directors.


--- Hal giving a pre-run briefing ------------>






Just before departing for 27 miles -------->





I was fortunate enough to run with Dan (married to the smart lady Christina) who was much more familiar with the AC trail.

Dan and I around mile 23 ------------>







Another guy that ran along with us part of the way was Barefoot Ted. Ted belongs to the ideology of running barefoot (or as close as possible) is much better for the body than man's oppressive shoes. Today he was running in a new sandal that he had made himself.



<------Imagine running 27 miles over rocks, dirt, etc. in these




Full shot of Barefoot Ted ----------------------->





After looking through Christina's pictures she had posted online I decided I needed a name like Ted has, and the best I could come up with was "Sitting Chris". I realized whenever I arrive at Aid Stations I immediately had a seat, and probably would never get up if it weren't for "Slavedriver Dan" getting me going.






<------------- Sitting Chris

Sitting Chris -->

Sitting Chris ------->




<--------Chris (only guy sitting)



What a great day in a beautiful place....
--------What's this????? -----Chris Standing?----------->

1 comment:

Barefoot Ted said...

Howdy Chris

It was nice meeting you at the last AC 100 training run.

Since that run, I have improved my huarache running sandals to prevent some of the problems I encountered on that day.

My feet were perfectly fine after that run. No aches, pains or blisters.

BFT